A Valentine Salad and Eggspress Giveaway
Valentine’s gifts tend to focus on chocolate treats so it’s nice to have something a little different for Valentine’s Day. This bacon and heart-shaped egg salad fills you up and also provides the freshness and crunch that I feel is so important to enjoy in the winter months and would be the prefect for a Valentine’s day brunch or lunch.
I was sent this little gadget, called an Eggspress, from Just Mustard which moulds hard-boiled eggs into heart shapes, so when you cut them in half you have a pretty little heart. Just Mustard is a gift company with lots of fun novelty gifts.
The back of the packet tells you how to create your heart shaped eggs and are easy to follow.
Although it is easy to make, mine didn’t turn out quite so perfect as the ones in the illustration. The yolk does not always sit right in the middle. The heart shape does form, but it’s not very pronounced and I think you need to use them fairly quickly as I found that the egg started to lose the point at the bottom after about half an hour.
Bacon and Egg Salad (serves 2)
8 slices of smoked streaky bacon
4 medium eggs, hard boiled and cooled
1/2 bag of mixed lettuce leaves
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 apple, cored and chopped
4 cherry tomatoes, halved
juice of half a lime
2 tbsp olive oil
salt & freshly ground pepper
1 tsp honey
1. Grill the bacon until crisp, drain on kitchen paper and cool
2. Press the eggs as per instructions and cut in half. If you don’t have an Eggspress then simply cut the eggs in half.
3. Place the celery, apple and 4 slices of crispy bacon (crumbled) into a bowl.
4. Make the dressing with juice of half a lime, oil, seasoning and honey, whisk or shake in a jar then pour over the celery, apple and bacon mixture
5. Spread the salad leaves on the plates, divide the celery, apple and bacon mixture between them.
6. Top each plate with two bacon rashers crossed. Place 4 egg halves evenly around the plate and place the tomato halves between them and serve with crusty bread.
It was fun to serve the heart shaped eggs with this salad and if you would like to try it yourself, I have two Eggspress egg moulds to giveaway. UK residents only please. Just follow the instructions on the Rafflecopter Widget.