Baked Chicken with tomatoes and olives – Dish of the Month August
It’s summer and, for once, we really have had some summer weather. I find that I am less motivated to cook when it is warm so simple, throw it all in one pan, recipes are very appealing…oh wait…simple, throw it all in one pan, recipes are very appealing to me all year round!
Nigel Slater is noted for the simplicity of his recipes, he cleverly combines a few key ingredients to create delicious dishes you want to make again and again. The August chapter of The Kitchen Diaries II features a number of ingredients that are not quite ready yet in Scotland, but tomatoes are at their peak and I can hardly keep up with my pots of herbs as they are loving the warm weather.
Nigel suggests chicken thighs for this recipe, but I bought a whole chicken and jointed it, I also used some green olives rather than the black ones in the recipe as I had half a jar left over from another dish.
It’s a great recipe, just brown the chicken and throw in the tomatoes, garlic and olives and thyme. put it in the oven and leave it to cook. I did cover it with foil after about 10 minutes because the olives were drying out, the chicken was lovely and moist and the we mopped up the juices with some mediterranean bread.
Enter Dish of the Month in August for a chance to #WIN a copy of Nigel Slater’s Real Fast Food. This is a classic Nigel Slater book suitable for beginners and experienced cooks. This giveaway is run in good faith and only open to those resident in the UK. The winner will be picked at random using the random number generator. Sue, from A little Heaven on a Plate, and I will be excluded from the draw.
If you would like to take part, then please:
- Make a Dish of the Month from ANY recipe by Nigel Slater
- Link to Farmersgirl Kitchen or A Little Bit of Heaven on a Plate
- Use the Dish of the Month logo in your post
- If you use twitter, tweet your post with @serialcrafter or @Heavenona_plate and #DishoftheMonth and we will re-tweet it to our followers.
- If you own The kitchen diaries II please do not publish the recipes on your blog without permission, they are copyright.
- If you are using recipes from the BBC Food website, please link to the recipe on BBC Food rather than publishing the recipe. Likewise recipes on the Guardian Lifestyle website.
- One entry per blog.
- Recipes must be added to the linky by the 28th of each month.