I made a Quick and Easy Rhubarb Tart tonight. Life has been a bit hectic, what with our son’s wedding, and there has not been much time for cooking or blogging. However the rhubarb waits for no one so this is simplest of rhubarb desserts, perfect for when you don’t have much time.
To make the bake really simple, I used pre-made shortcrust pastry. You can now get all butter shortcrust pastry which is really rather good and, while I would make my own pastry when I have time, it really does need to rest in the fridge before baking and the ready made pastry is ready to go. I mix the rhubarb with the sugar and some cornflour, this trick helps to soak up the juices from the rhubarb and thickens into a delicious sauce. It also helps to prevent the pastry on the bottom of the pie from getting too soggy.
Visit my Rhubarb Collection for all the rhubarb recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
- 1 x 450 g packet of all butter shortcrust pastry
- 500 g rhubarb cut into even sized pieces
- 200 g caster sugar + 1 dessert spoonful
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- Divide the pastry into two pieces, the base should be 200 g and the lid 250 g.
- Roll out both pieces and line the base of a 23 cm (9 in) pie tin.
- Mix together the sugar and cornflour in a large bowl and then add in the chopped rhubarb.
- Pile the rhubarb, sugar and cornflour mixture into the pie dish.
- Brush the edge of the pastry with milk
- Lay over the larger piece of pastry, crimp the edges and make two holes in the middle to let out the steam.
- Brush the pastry with the milk and scatter over the dessertspoonful of caster sugar.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes until light golden brown.
- Serve with cream, custard, yogurt or icecream
- The cornflour helps to soak up the juices from the rhubarb and makes a delicious thickened sauce in the pie.