Lemon Love Cakes for Valentine’s Day
Happy Valentine’s Day!
As a special treat, I am offering you a little ‘Lemon Love Cake’ which I hope you will enjoy. These are really simple little cakes to make, easy enough for beginners and ideal for young children to make with a little help from an adult and for older children to make on their own.
Lemon Love Cakes
An easy lemon cupcake recipe with lemon buttercream and heart shaped sprinkles.
Write a review
- For the cupcakes
- 125g (4 1/2 oz) butter
- 125g (4 1/2 oz) caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 large lemon (keeping the zest of the remaining 1/2 lemon for the lemon icing)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150g (5oz) s-r flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- For the buttercream
- 75g (3oz) butter
- 175g (6oz) icing sugar, sifted
- finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2-3 tsp squeezed lemon juice
- heart sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 180C, line a fairy cake tin or muffin tin with paper cases (you will get more cakes if you use the fairy cake tin, but they will be smaller)
- Cream the butter in a bowl until soft. Add the sugar and lemon zest and beat until fluffy. Add the beaten eggs a bit at at time, then add the sifted flour and baking powder into the mixture.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake for 7-10 minutes, until risen and golden. Remove cakes to a baking tray and let them cool completely before icing.
- To make the buttercream
- Cream the butter until soft, sift the icing sugar into the butter with the lemon zest and enough lemon juice to get the right consistency for piping or spreading.
- When the cupcakes have cooled completely, put the butter icing into a piping bag with a large star nozzle an pipe swirls onto the cupcakes. Alternately, spread a large teaspoonful over the top with a palette knife.
- Sprinkle a little love over the cupcakes in the form of some pink heart cake decorations.
Farmersgirl Kitchen https://farmersgirlkitchen.co.uk/
As an aside, I went to get my camera to take these photos and my husband nearly took off with one of these cupcakes, so they obviously work!
I’m also entering it for the new Alphabakes challenge run by Ros at ‘The more than occasional baker’ and Caroline Makes the letter is ‘L’ and that means Luuuurrrve!