Quick and Easy Vegetarian Noodle Bowl
Everywhere I look there seem to be Noodle Bowls or Rice Bowls, granted I do tend to spend a lot of my time on foodie websites, Pinterest and reading food and cooking magazines, but if that is not your
obsession interest, then you may still have seen these healthy offerings in sandwich shops and supermarkets.
The good news is that healthy noodle bowls are really simple to make and very good for you. You can also customise them to suit our own tastes. I went for a very simple option and used my ThermoCook to make the Noodle Bowl, there are directions in the recipe to make it without the ThermoCook too. However, if you haven’t heard of the ThermoCook, I can really recommend that you to check it out, it’s a multi-function appliance that really works, a superblender/food processor that also cooks. It’s pretty much replaced my food processor and blender.
Using the ThermoCook to make my Noodle Bowl, meant that I could cook the noodles in the savoury stock while steaming the vegetables in the basket above them.
- 50g dried soba noodles
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 250ml boiling water
- 1 medium carrot, cut into slim batons
- 3 or 4 broccoli florets, cut small, including the stems
- handful of chopped kale
- 1/4 Red (bell) pepper, finely sliced
- 1 tsp of grated ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- To make in the Thermocook
- Pour the boiling water into the jug, add the soy sauce and bouillon powder.
- Place the noodles into the jug, they will stand up in the stock.
- Put on the lid and cook on STEAM for 2 minutes, pause cooking and push the noodles down, they will have softened enough to fit in the stock.
- Place the vegetables (except the red pepper) in the basket and place over the noodles and stock, sprinkle the grated ginger over the vegetables.
- Replace the lid and STEAM again for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are just cooked and no more.
- Remove the basket, pour the stock and noodles into a bowl, top with the steamed vegetables and fresh red pepper strips.
- Sprinkle over a tsp of sesame oil and enjoy.
- If you don't have a Thermocook then use a medium sized pan with a tight lid. If you have a steamer that sits on top, use that, if not then simply add the vegetables to the pan and put on the lid.
- You can even make this recipe in a jug in the microwave, particularly handy if you want to make it for lunch at work.
- Experiment with flavours and add your own favourite ingredients to the Noodle Bowl.
As I said at the start, there Noodle Bowls and Rice Bowls everywhere, so I asked some of Britain’s best bloggers and look what they came up with:
We start with this Vegan Rice with Maple Tofu and Smoked Tomato Sauce from Cornish vegetarian foodie, Choclette at Tin and Thyme doesn’t that look good? Choclette has also used the ThermoCook to make this great recipe.
Hungry, Healthy, Happy food writer and cook book author (review coming to Farmersgirl Kitchen soon) Dannii makes a 10 Minute Thai Noodle Bowl. A healthy, comforting noodle bowl that’s also low in calories.
I’m entering this recipe for Extra Veg the Linky run by Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and Michele at Utterly Scrummy Food for Families. Helen is hosting this month, why not visit the Extra Veg Linky for more ideas for cooking and eating more vegetables?
Disclosure: Froothie UK sent me the Optimum ThermoCook to use and review at home. I have not been paid for this post and was not required to give the ThermoCook a positive write up. All opinions are my own. There are affiliate links included in this post.